Friday, August 2, 2013

How to get a visa in Morocco

 This feat is not for the faint of heart. After weeks of submitting paperwork to the Turkish embassy, I was finally set to receive my student visa for my fall as an exchange student in Istanbul. When it came time to pay, they could not take my dirhams because they told me it was policy to only take USD.

I zigzagged from bank to bank to bank. I probably visited at least nine banks in the vicinity of the embassy, only to get rejected each time. I was reaching despair. I heard different reasons each time of why they could not give me dollars for dirhams; it turns out that there is a shortage of USD in Moroccan banks, and even if there were dollars available, a residence card or Moroccan passport is required. I also learned that foreigners without a residence card must go to the airport if they wish to exchange their dirhams for foreign currency through the bank.

At last I made it back to the main street where I had originally been advised to try my luck. At the final bank I visited, I was chased for nearly a block by a bystander, who had overheard incorrectly and wanted to sell me his Moroccan Dirhams. I was out of options and running out of time, for the embassy was on Ramadan hours, and I was nearing desperation, so I asked my program coordinator at the Moroccan Center for Arabic Studies if he could be of help and exchange the dirhams for me. He kindly did so, but the only American currency that the exchange office had at their disposal was a $100 bill.  That was the most beautiful $100 bill I’d laid eyes on in a while. I walked out of there breathing sighs of relief and trekked back to the embassy. I gave them my prized $100 bill and they told me I was in luck, because someone had just paid them the $60 visa fee minutes before, so they were able to give me change. They stamped my visa and I heard the sweetest words “you can enter Turkey. Goodbye”. I left the embassy victorious after a four hour traipse around Rabat, for a stamping that took ten minutes.

This is precisely why I think that everybody should allow themselves the privilege of spending some time abroad. Being in a country where you do not speak the language renders you to be in an extremely vulnerable and helpless position. It puts you at the mercy of the patience and graciousness of others, and reminds you of how insignificant you really are. Throwing a fit will do you no good. Neither will asking to speak to the manager, because you are in his country and you do not speak his language. It’s a beautiful moment when the realization comes that you are nothing extraordinary, only a speck on this spinning rock in this boundless universe.

 When you are treated well, you are reminded of the good in the world. When you are treated like an average Joe, you are forced to sit back and take a reality check. During my time in Morocco, I have realized that as an American I live in a bubble of convenience where most things are catered to me, and I have been guilty of the mindset is “my time is more valuable than yours”. Today, I have been humbled.

More than temporarily sweaty hands and a reminder of patience, Morocco has given me a lesson in humility. And for this, I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment