Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Turning over a new leaf


Some times I sit in complete darkness and listen to the silence of the world.
This is often the closest feeling that I can get to Ghana, when living in a fast paced America where time is money.
It is during these times that I am able to best reflect on my experience as a whole.

While sitting,
I think about how far I’ve come…
Literally in Distance. ( I’ve caught 10 planes this summer now making me a pro, and I’ve been in every form of transportation that you can think of from a horse carriage to a Canoe.)

I think about the independence I’ve gained
When you’ve traveled halfway around the world forced to lean upon your own judgment and make life threatening decisions in a matter of moments, you learn that there is not much that you can’t do, and no one, not even yourself can dare to tell you different.

I reflect on the supernatural powers that I’ve gained
The ability to keep your composure when everything is falling a part.
The ability to move forward not knowing if you’ll ever return.
The belief that change will soon come, even if the world around you shows you different.
The ability to treat Triumph and disaster the same.

I examine the importance of communication
I understand the importance of asking questions, knowing when to speak and knowing when its time to listen. Both Ghana and Germany has shown me this. Too often, as I’ve witnessed, foreigners can offend the country hosting them simply because of the way that they choose to communicate with others. Communication is what tends to help locals be accepting of us, it shows that we have an understanding and a sense of respect for their way of life.

I reminisce on moments that I’ve shared with amazing friends
However, my biggest fear is that I become a statistic to them. I do not want to become like the friends they met last summer, you know the ones who allowed life to get in the way of the back and forth communication, i would hate to let them down that way. To be able to build friendships with such beautiful people, has truly been a blessing. I honestly cant explain how thankful I am for the relationships that I have made this summer. When I am asked how I made it through, the support of local friends is what I am always quick to answer with.

I think about who I am as a person
Even more important, I am now coming to understand where I fit in with society.
I must admit that I often suffered from a lost of identity this summer, which was one of my biggest challenges. Although I am not Ghanaian or African, I was treated as such. Although I am not Jamaican, I was often referred to as such. In some parts of Ghana, I do not think people really understands what it means to be a Black American in the U.S (although they do know the term) or any other ethnic group outside of “White.” Although I did not discover my exact roots this summer, I have grown to be okay with it. What Ghana did help me to do however, is find a better understanding and a new love for my own ethnic group. Before my trip, I use to think that it was not enough to just be a Black American. I believed that if I really wanted to understand my culture, I would have to reach back into my roots, which I’ve now found is not necessarily true. As a Black American, I too have a culture of my own outside of that of my African ancestors that I can identify with, and for this I am proud.
I think about the after life,
life after Ghana that is, and what it will be like to turn over a new leaf.
I am more than certain that I want to peruse a Career working in Public Administration, after my experience working with the Department of Social Welfare. It is my desire to use all of my knowledge, all of my energy, and all of my time working to better communities, through program development and by implementing effective policies and procedures for organizations serving communities both here in the U.S and other countries as well.
While I sit in silence, I try not to be sad because Ghanaians don’t cry. So Instead of crying, I hold on to my memories, my friendships and the things that I’ve learned about my self and about those who are slightly different from me. While doing all of this, I remind myself that this is only the beginning. There is only a matter of time before the call of adventure provokes me once again to head off into the world of the unknown.

1 comment: