Wednesday, June 19, 2013

1 month mark


The mark of a little over one-month has arrived! One month anniversary with the country and things are going well. It's pretty baffling to think that time has already flown by this quickly. Today I was supposed to embark to Adilibad where the other project office is to do some field-work in the villages, but due to other factors I am staying in the city instead. Not wanting to stay cooped up inside all day, I wrapped my face and head with a scarf to explore around in the heat of the afternoon. Bad idea. My body turned into a radiating furnace. On the plus side, I came across relics of a centuries-old pool that was built for a former king of the area. What is crazy about this, is that this pool looks like some former (emphasis on "former") garden of Eden but it's hidden among the tangles and mazes of the slums! I sat at the temple overlooking this site for a good while and I'm pretty certain the heat got me into a really intense daze over it. The clashes/contrasts of old and new and the poverty and wealth cease to amaze me around here. Many of my days have been filled with writing a half-yearly progress report of the Tribal Permaculture Project, updating a new brochure, and still celebrating for having finished the UNEP Seed Initiative Application. Whether AAA is selected as a winner or not, I'm glad to have it done.
I'm starting to see that there will be some modifications to my diet when I get back to the states. For one, I am going to start eating yogurt everyday and maybe incorporate a little bit more chili into some dishes ;) Yessiree, my palate is getting more bold and daring by the day. I also have picked up drawing with charcoal. The other day I was in a stationary store with my friend Sneha and with 3 charcoal pencils for a dollar I thought, 'eh, why not?'. I've completed two pieces now....and I am super hooked. I think I'll start a series named 'The Many Faces of India'.
Just as every parent can usually remember their child's first words, mine in Telegu have been "jutu" (hair) and "toku" (peel, as in fruit peel). If you're thinking these are absolutely unnecessary words...you're right. But I do get way overexcited when I hear a hair company advertising shampoo. And with the word peel, haven't gotten to hear that one yet! Since then, I've picked up a few phrases and am starting to comprehend more and more. Oh, and one of the most exciting updates yet: I get to see mother in 4 days! It has been a year since I saw her last and I am thanking all 330 million Hindu deities that she is meeting me here!!

3 comments:

  1. These drawings are excellent. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Joe--these are great! You must have had drawing experience before, right, but just a new transition into using charcoal? Either way, you are very talented and thanks for sharing them with us. Your internship work continues to sound really interesting and worthwhile.

    On another note--maybe we need to have a Global Scholars art/photo display in the fall with your charcoals, and Katrina and Lee Anne's work, Sylvia's music selections, and whatever other cool creations I am sure are being made in the Globe gallery or somewhere...that would be so fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joe and Latika! I actually had only ever painted before, but no doubt that makes a difference too. And I would love to partake in a display like that! :) I'll make sure to crank out more pieces by that time.

    ReplyDelete