Thursday, June 13, 2013

Super Sistuh in India

I have been in India 13 days now. My first three days were crazy. Now that school has started I have began to make myself at home. May is the hottest month s I beat the majority of the heat. It hasn't been too bad since I been here. You just have to keep been and hope the power is working. The power goes out frequently but you get use to it after awhile. I think my hardest things were the way they dress and eat here. Woman have to be covered from their necks to their ankles. Jeans and pants are not allowed. The girls can wear leggings under their dresses though. My first three days as a newbie I was allowed to wear jeans and a scarf with my shirt. On the third day I was asked to dress more "conservatively". For Americans, jeans, a sweater, and scarf is very conservative. I luckily brought three long summer dresses that were deem appropriate. I was also told that three outfits were more than enough for my two months stay. I had to laugh at that. I have bought material and taken to the tailor so now I have one Indian outfit. Next, I didn't realize that you eat with your hands here. They mostly eat white rice and some kind of stew or sauce. It is not easy eating rice with your hands but you learn quick. Also, you must take your shoes off before entering a building so I have  no use for the sneakers I brought. You either wear sandals or no shoes at all.

All in all, I truly am enjoying myself and learning so much. Everyone loves to have us around. They absolutely  love pictures. Everyone asks for " one photo sistuh". My nights are so peaceful here too. I can't wait to straight my dance class. 

1 comment:

  1. Anne! These reflections are so interesting! It sounds like a lot of things are new for you, but that you are taking them in stride and getting exactly what we hope students will get out of this experience. Way to be adventurous and go with the flow! I bet you look super beautiful in your Indian outfit--you'll have to post a photo for me!

    Also, tell me more about this dance class! Are you taking a dance class there, or are you teaching a dance class? Either way, that is totally awesome and I want to hear more about it (I have a background in dance so this is particularly interesting to me). Keep up the awesome blog entries--I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete