Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mountainside Triumph

Urubamba thank you. Although quite a way from departure I am growing to love your quaint nature. From becoming sick for almost a week to reveling in good health I have learned to appreciate you in a variety of moods. This week I worked with the women of the community and another Israeli man who helped guide them to build organic gardens in their homes. Part of the empowerment mission for the women here is helping them work towards self-sustainability, the work I've done these past few days has been so rewarding because I can see the direct result of my, and my fellow volunteers, labor by the completed gardens.

In these moments I notice my perception changing in little ways, as I reflect on my photographic film I realize my appreciate has augmented. My lens has shifted focus from the beautiful scenery to people in their natural settings, as they are all different. The women cooking for her sisters and their children, the animal herder and his brother who seem to see moving cattle as a game, or even my own host mom running her shop. The beauty I'm rediscovering In Peru is not in the setting but the people who bring it alive. 

The anger, frustration, or even confusion on the very different aspects of the culture have now become the differences I question for deeper understanding. These differences now become moments of reflection and admiration for the lifestyle I am fortunate to live. Taking a shower anytime of day, readily available clean water, and a tv to fall asleep watching have been a few of those minor differences that have incited new found appreciation. I believe that the culturally immersive nature of my travels is starting to allow for growth and am excited to check in next week with more change.

Until then

Mateo

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Mateo--I like that! Matthew, it is so great to read this reflection. I really feel like I get to be a part of the journey that you are on, your changes in perception and appreciation. This actually inspires me (reminds me?) to pay attention to the beauty that surrounds me in my own life, too. It is always good to step back and not take things for granted--to always remember to make time to look at life through fresh eyes. Thanks for helping remind me of this! Also, that gardening project sounds awesome! What's also cool--you now not only have new Peruvian friends but a new Israeli friend, too! Soon you will have friends all over the world and a passport that will be waiting for you to fill it with new stamps! yes! and bam!

    ReplyDelete