Friday, June 21, 2013

My Father’s Day in Ghana

June 16, 2013


Growing up in Colombia and the United States, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day have always been a time to reunite the family and celebrate. Coming into Ghana, I was expecting to experience the same thing. Although my host family does not have a father figure, I thought maybe the neighbors or even the Church would have a special service for them. However, this was not the case.

In the morning, I went to the beach with my neighbor, Rose Mercy (17). Her two younger sisters, Evelyn (15) and Hannah (11) joined us after Church ended. I inquired about the Church service and whether there was a big celebration for Father’s Day. Rose Mercy told me that Father’s Day was not very big in Ghana because it Ghanaian men were not very respected. I was taken by surprise at this response and asked why not.

She said, “In Ghana, it is the women who take care of the children, who cook and do everything for the family. So, Mother’s Day is a large celebration, but Father’s Day is not. The Church will mention something about Father’s Day, but they won’t hold a special service or celebration for them. On Mother’s Day, there are large parties and the children will give gifts to the mothers, but not for Father’s Day.”

They asked me about Father’s Day in the U.S. and I told them it depended on the family on how they celebrated Father’s Day, but that it was a big deal for most people who did have a father in their life.

Later that day, I saw my neighbor, Uncle Ato, who is a father. I said, “Happy Father’s Day Uncle.”

He said, “Thank you, specially coming from a woman. Thank you!”

That night, I spoke to Mama Teiko. “Mama, I heard Father’s Day is not very big here.”

She said, “Oh no! You see, Ghanaian men are rascals!”

I said, “What!? What do you mean?”

She said, “You see, Ghanaian men go around get women pregnant, and then you will never see them again! So, they are not respected very much. That’s why, if a boy comes asking me to marry you I will say ‘no’.”

We both laughed. Ali, a good family friend came in and I filled him in the conversation. My Mama then said, “But Ali is a good man. You can marry him.”

We all laughed.

I spoke to some of my co-workers who had spent Father’s Day in Cape Coast. They told me they had a different experience. There, everyone was saying “Happy Father’s Day” to everyone, even if they were not a Father or a man.

Overall, I’m not sure how Ghanaians really feel about Father’s Day, but I thought I’d share my experience.


HAPPY FATHER’S DAY!

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic story--love it! I really feel like I got a snapshot of your life and experiences. Keep up the great reflections!

    ReplyDelete