Friday, June 28, 2013

The man who got hit by a bus

I have gone to the orthopedics emergency department a couple of times. I usually go later in the afternoon, after I am in Pediatrics. It is always really interesting and busy. The first time I was there a man came in that was side swiped by a bus. When the bus made a u-turn it hit his bike and he fell, and since he folded his legs in it did not run him over.  There were tire marks on his shirt, and he had a lot of scrapes. It looked really bad, but luckily for him his biggest injury was a wrist fracture. The doctors work as efficiently as they can. Many times there are parents crying for their children to get attention and we have to kindly ask them to wait. I noticed that there are a lot of children that have bone fractures from falling off trees, playing, or falling off their bikes. I really like to help with these patients because I talk to them and ask them about their family and their favorite colors to try and distract them from the pain. Children with fractures are usually hospitalized. I also help calm the mothers down, because they sometimes come in a state of panic. The doctors know how to talk to them and explain to them what the treatment will be. Nicaraguan Spanish is a bit different than Mexican Spanish, it can be spoken very kindly with a lot of words of endearment, and I believe this also helps when dealing with people in pain.  The most common injury that I have seen are wrist injuries.

            I have gotten to see many x-rays, and although I cannot always see if there is something wrong, or analyze them correctly, the doctors usually help me see or tell me after. I have assisted with suturing, cleaning wounds, and putting on casts and splints.  I like to stock up on material when I see that it is starting to run low. The key is to be productive, the doctors, residents, and students will not be on your back asking you to get things all the time. And if I ever don’t know where something is I ask the nurse that is there in between surgery and orthopedics ER. It is really hot in the ER because the air conditioner is not functional; it is broken beyond repair. Sometimes there are doctors that will bring their own fan from home.  And even through very uncomfortable conditions, these doctors keep going.  I have always had high thoughts about doctors, and especially those who can adjust to difficult circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, you are really getting so much hands-on experience; it actually amazes me! I feel like I would be so personally un-prepared for the kinds of tasks with which you are helping. So fascinating! (Also, as a try-to-be bike commuter myself, stories like the one above always creep me out!)

    ReplyDelete