Wednesday, June 26, 2013

First week in Costa [J]

Today marks my first full week in Potrero. I can already tell this will be a life changing experience. My work here brings me a sense of purpose and belonging to an extent of which I had not found at home. Not to mention the breathtaking scenery. Butterflies dance, monkeys holler, animals co-exist in perfect harmony amongst a vast array of greens.
I was brought here to, along with two partners which includes the founder of Abriendo Mentesdesign, carry out, and present a community sentiment survey. However, my partners did not arrive in Potrero until 3 days after I did. I took advantage of that time by taking part in as many of Abriendo Mentes' programs in order to gain an understanding of the organization as well as to become familiar with the community members whom I am to interview to ensure a sense of somewhat trust which will hopefully result in honest responses.
The majority of what I did this first week was to serve as an assistant in the english lessons. The lessons are separated into classes of kindergarten/1st graders, 2nd/3rd graders, 4th/5th graders, 6th graders, and adults (I have yet participated in the adult lessons). Each class is an hour long and meets 3 times a week. Their activities range from coloring while continually being asked to name the color they are using in both spanish and english, to reading english childrens books (such as Dr. Seuss) and interpreting its meaning.
Other activities I took part in include refurbishing a bodega, cleaning a "paint explosion" in a neighboring town's school, and participating in the AM event "Fun Friday (Viernes Divertido)" which essentially involves cooperation with Lacrosse the Nations in a sort of P.E. class, we also played games such as "duck, duck, goose!"
The AM group is a very united group with strong leadership. Often we get together as a whole for both business and pleasure. This results in a welcoming sense of family which promotes hard work and success in many forms. This photo is after a weekly staff meeting.

1 comment:

  1. Nice photo! I'm enjoying reading about the work you're doing, even though I know you're still getting into the swing of things! I've been to Costa Rica and I totally understand what you mean about the animals...have you seen any scarlet macaws flying yet? (or, more likely, heard them?)

    ReplyDelete