Monday, June 3, 2013

From Matthew--Pre-Departure Blog


As I look at one fully packed suitcase and the long list of last minute things to do there’s this knot in my stomach that is far from being alleviated.  Probably a physical manifestation of my excitement, nerves, and fear of the unknown, this knot has been my only connection to the place I will be visiting 2600 miles away. Thinking of the small town of Urubamba my mind is flooded with ideas and fears of how this eight-week experience will challenge me, and augment my understanding of others. Maybe my expectations are too high but I have another list, being the list freak I am, of all the things I’d like to accomplish while here, personal and pertinent to this culturally immersive experience.
            With only two days left till departure I am finding myself somehow reflecting or overthinking everything I do. Dinner with my family now becomes this sacred moment, being 300 miles away, means a pricy plane or extended car drive away from the people I love, being 15 hours in travel time is another. Now I analyze the affection, the type of food, and the conversation realizing that while my experience with my new family may be pleasant it will never be the same as the dynamic of my own family. These two days are filled with emotional instability, anxiety, and appreciation. I have never felt so immersed in such a familiar and casual setting, this newfound appreciation for my family indicated that Peru only holds more opportunities to broaden my perspective and appreciate my lifestyle.
            I am moments away from leaving my house and preparing to board my long flight to Peru. I am excited. That knot in my stomach seems to have exploded and its contents some sort of naturally occurring caffeine.  No, I’m not just awake I’m jittery eager to have my passport stamped in Bogota, Columbia, the place of my layover. I said see you later to my best friend today, my mom, that was probably the hardest part. I am excited to explore my new family dynamic and hope that all goes well with my luggage and travel.  While I realize my preparation list is not 100% complete the essentials are, and for that I am grateful. Peru, I will see you soon.  --Matthew Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment