Saturday, June 22, 2013

Three weeks in India and I'm still loving it!

As I reflect on my weeks here, it feels like I arrived in India yesterday; then again it feels like I've been here forever. I have learned so much and each day is truly an adventure. I started teaching upper preschoolers. They are so adorable. They also do not know any English so body language and facial expressions are everything. Even so we have interesting conversations. The children tell me about their homes and their families. They tell me their mother names and father names and sister names and brother names. When I pronounce them wrong they just laugh and correct me. The children here are truly happy. We laugh and sing songs. Their favorite is "Row Row Row your Boat"! We sing it everyday and it never gets old to them. I teach them body parts in English and they translate in Tamil. At the orphanage, I teach English after school in one of the classrooms. Every Tuesday and Thursday, the children living at the orphanage run up to me and say "spoken-english today". I happily say yes and at 5pm they are all waiting for me in the classroom. I am truly glad that I am here and the children seem fond of the volunteers. I love playing games with them and the time just seems to fly by.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of "Row, Row, Row..." You must be getting a good lesson in patience, too (smiles). I am so glad to hear that you are still enjoying your experiences and your work sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete