Friday, July 5, 2013

4th of July in India

As June was coming to an end, I started to realized that I would be spending 4th of July in India. All the American volunteers, wanted to do something special for the kids. We thought of buying fireworks, making a bonfire and s'more. Well this simple idea was almost impossible to do. We could not find marshmallows or fireworks that lit up only the one that young children could buy at the local grocery store.

I woke up to my first 4th of July outside of the USA and thought to myself this will be interesting. Most of the volunteers dressed up in nice traditional Indian outfits or wore red, white, and blue. I wore a long sundress and scarf because you must be covered from neck to ankles here.I went to teach class like regular and I actually was not feeling well so I slept through lunch. When I woke up from my nap, it was almost the end of the school day. Once school was out, some kids usually stop by my room to say hello, ask for candy, and play Temple Run. Yes, everyone loves Temple Run.After playing for about 5 minutes they have come to the conclusion that this game is cheating. They shake their heads and say sistuh cheating. I have to laugh.

At the orphanage, we explain to the director that speaks excellent English that it is the 4th of July. He looks puzzled. And we blurt out :the day the USA gained their Independence! He smiles and say oh.He then tells us the children are getting dressed for temple so my English class has been cancelled. We are all excited to go to temple. Everyone puts on their best outfits and on the bus we go. The temple is quite close; it was a 10 minute ride. The temple is beautiful. It's so colorful. It is a small local temple and the owner personally came out and spoke to us. After the speaker, they said their prayers and a dish with fire is passed along. We walk around the temple and then it's time for after prayer snack. We are given cookies and coffee. Everyone got a small cup of coffee and the children went wild. Some kids had three to four coffees so they were literally jumping off the walls. On the buss ride back we all were cracking jokes.
Once at Sevalaya, it was dinner time. That's where the real fun begin.All the kids joyously laughed and smiled. When the power went out we all scared because we knew we won't get in trouble. Dinner was a blast and I will never forget my first 4th of July in India!

No comments:

Post a Comment