Tuesday, July 16, 2013

We left Mityana and went to a new organization called SOVHEN. At SOVHEN I began teaching health science. I taught the kids about vaccines, the heart, nutrition, and some first aid basics. Since teaching wasn't what I planned to do this summer, I was surprised to find out that I truly did enjoy teaching. 

I also realized when teachers say that they don't have favorites...there's a good chance that it might be a lie. There have been quite a few kids that have stood out in my mind during the past few weeks. 

Miss Uganda aka Joan and Ssuna:
Joan and Ssuna were at Mityana (Childline)  and siblings. Both of them are HIV positive. Ssuna was a little quieter than his sister while Joan was the most dramatic and energetic nine year old I ever met. Joan liked to be called Miss Uganda and would pose for the camera while Ssuna would sneak up and tickle you. 
Joan was also my Lugandan teacher. She would point to her ears, eyes, or hands and expect me to say the word in Lugandan. I have a video but unfortunately it wouldn't load. However, she was a very stern teacher and every time I messed up she would point her finger at me and say, "We shall beat you"!

Miss Uganda spying on us 


                                                                                Ssuna 


Ema:
On our second to last day of school,  A small boy named Ema asked if he could join us when we were explaining that we were going back to the US. Tyler was joking and said he could come if he can fit into his suitcase. Ema's face brightened and said "I will come". The next morning a helicopter flew by-which was completely bizarre because we haven't seen a helicopter or anything close to that here. Ema thought the helicopter was for us. The last day of class he saw us and said he was glad we were still here. We told him we'd be here for a few days. Today he came by the house with a jackfruit to confirm the time of departure so he can fit into Tyler's suitcase.



Ema

                                                                p5 class!
papayas and mangoes beat apples any day









1 comment:

  1. Cute! I love these stories! I also want to eat that pile of fruit. What is the red one? Just a tomato or something else?

    ReplyDelete