Thursday, July 25, 2013

My first (and probably only) Indian dance performance

I finished off my last blog stating I was headed to a Bollywood dance class that night. Well, for the last several weeks my life has partially centered around Indian Classical dances instead. Deep within the mazes of the Hyderabadi streets lies a beautiful home that has become a place of happiness for me. These classes take place during the weekend and sometimes during the week. Getting to know the teacher I found she holds a Ph.D in dance and filled me in greatly over just how symbolic many of these dances are for the Hindu religion as well as the culture. Every movement I learned came to mean something, including my finger positions. Basically, the class consists of body movements, facial expressions and sign language. Fast-forward three weeks and I've just performed in my first Indian dance show on stage! I guess this was a larger performance than I thought it would be and my group and I made the paper the next day. I went ahead and attached the photos. The girls I danced with were relatively young, but I had an absolute ball with them. They had me giggling at so many moments of class with weird facial expressions we'd exchange or times we messed up. I often felt as though I was a young girl again. 
          With the rainy season having settled itself in comfortably, the mosquitos have come in overwhelming swarms. I haven't really needed my mosquito net yet, but now, along with mosquito coils, I couldn't be more grateful for the thing. Since I last posted I've also made two field visits for several days to more of the tribal areas and Aranya's Permaculture farm. We planted a little over 30 mango trees with rain pouring all around us. Following the principles of Permaculture, we insert the small plant into the ground and then go on to pruning the trees and bushes around the forest (moringa trees and leucaena leucocephala) and surround the little tree with this foliage. These plants will go on to decompose and increase microbial activity that acts as both a mulch and fertilizer. Plants such as the curry leaf tree are planted nearby and is also a natural pesticide that prevents any harmful pests from destroying the plant. Again, this practice absolutely astonishes me in how simple-seeming Permaculture is, but then how incredibly effective the results are. I had a wonderful time escaping the city for a while and being surrounded by monkeys, chai tea and the forest. I could've gone without the mosquitos of course though.
          I leave in two weeks, but already I'm really so grateful to be here and to have had this opportunity in the first place. Every once in a while I find a voice in my head merely stating, 'I'm in India,' which kind of slaps me in the face in a really kind way. I don't have a cell phone and I love it for the time being. I also have limited access to chocolate so at times making the journey to obtain a chocolate ice-cream cone is not only so worth it, but also a major highlight of my day. When going for dinner I'm often greeted by neighborhood friend who is this little girl with Princess Leia style hair buns. All she says to me is "Hi aka!" (sister) and goes along on her bike. I call her my friend because someone asked her one time, 'why don't you ever say anything to me?' and she responded in Telugu that we know each other and are good friends. Besides the fact that we have never done anything more than smile and greet each other, I'll gladly take it. These are the small things that make me happy which leads me to share that I recently read in Paulo Coehlo's Like the Flowing River the following excerpt that really hit home...wherever "home" is:
         
          'A man asked my friend Jaime Cohen: 'What is the human being's funniest characteristic?'
          Cohen said: 'Our contradictoriness. We are in such a hurry to grow up, and then we long for our lost childhood. We make ourselves ill earning money, and then spend all our money on getting well again. We think so much about the future that we neglect the present, and thus experience neither the present nor the future. We live as if we were never going to die, and die as if we had never lived.''
         
          Philosopher Daniela over here, but I like how this reminds me to be where I am, appreciate it and just go with it. One last thing, if you have not tried a custard apple, put it on your bucket list NOW! It is heaven encapsulated within a fruit.



No comments:

Post a Comment