Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Peaking half-way in Peru



Machu Picchu – THE Experience

Finally, the most historical part of this experience, and surely the most renown was well worth the wait and the climb. This place could not be compared to any person, or any other experience. Through the massive amounts of stonewalls, rooms, and even houses I realized how this extremely old civilization was extremely advanced. Even though, as far as I know, I hold no Peruvian ancestry I connected with how advanced this group of humanity was. In seeing the strength, the thought, and the sheer beauty, through this architecture of this place I felt connected to something that was a part of me but also so much larger than me, this place renewed me faith in others. Sharing this experience with other volunteers, who exercised extreme patience with me, only made this experience all the more incredible.

Reaching Machu Picchu before the sunlight had a chance to highlight the mountainous ruins allowed me to see the calm before the awe. When the sun set on the ruins, its almost as if the ethereal haze that exists all over Peru was at a climax, that the glimpses I caught in Urubamba, Cusco, and Puno were all just insights into the most remarkable setting, Machu Picchu. This place, this moment, these people were all somehow what most people consider impossible: they wereperfect.

Waynapicchu, the most physically trying thing I've engaged so far, was the most reflective and informative experience. While making my way up and down this steep mountain I learned about myinsecurities and how they often manifest to affect my performance. I realized that this journey put me in my most vulnerable state but also I felt a newfound redemption when I made it. In retrospect this experience taught me a lot about a sphere of my life, physical activity; I spent too much time content in not being inclined. Now the power, the advantage, the superiority I saw in the eyes of the people who started with me and made it before me fuels me, to show myself that no domain is beyond my grasp. It wasn’t the actual people who made it but how they symbolized people who assumed the held elevated status because of some advantage they held. More importantly the power of knowing I'm commanding and controlling another aspect of my life only further makes me urn for better physical condition.

Much Motivation and Excitement

Mateo

1 comment:

  1. Mateo, your reflections are so personal and powerful! I really do appreciate you sharing these with us. I am also just super jealous of this cool experience! Some day I hope to make it there, too!

    ReplyDelete