Friday, July 5, 2013

Back in the swing of things

I recently returned from a one-week vacation in Kerala, India with my mother. Honestly, I can't describe how refreshing it was to spend time with her and explore this part of India. Let me just say that Kerala is absolutely amazing. Although it is the rainy season, we came to find out that this time of year is peak season for Ayurveda treatments and the time of "cleansing". We took long drives along the misty tea plantations that made the mountains look like lush, textured paintings. Kerala is also the spice capitol of India so you can bet your bottom rupee that I bought my share of saffron, cardamom, bay leaves, etc, etc! I also got to experience the sheer pleasure of staying overnight on a houseboat in the backwaters of Allepey. I recently read The God of Small Things which is set in Kerala (a book my EdGE mentor recommended and that I now recommend) and the black and white font of the book was suddenly introduced to dimension and color due to my actually witnessing it. The people who live in these backwater canals have their ENTIRE lives revolving around the canals and moods of the water. It really is the Venice of India with the streets being narrow straits of land surrounded by water. For the children who attend school, instead of hopping on a bus they jump into a large boat that will take them to their school- also on the water. On our last day, my mother and I decided to visit the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple which from what locals were telling us is about 5000 years old and only recently several billions dollars worth of gold was discovered beneath it. I was floored by this because I have never before seen anything that old. Here is a New York Times article detailing the discovery: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/09/world/asia/09temple.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 Unfortunately, non-Hindus are not allowed to enter so what lies inside will remain a mystery to us both. I'm back in Hyderabad and have finished the Tribal Permaculture Project half-year report and am now going to help Padma prepare for a presentation in mid-July. Maybe this is part of maturing, but I'm seeing that when the "Send" button is pushed it really means only that one chapter has been completed; next comes the beginning of documenting the next half-year report.
The 4th of July made me a bit homesick for my summers spent in the U.S. and appreciate the people I have in my life there. Here too. At that time I was making field visits to some of the Tribal Development Fund villages where the trees planted there a year ago have already made so much progress. The rainy season really seems to lift everyone's spirits. My life in the city has become pretty routine with Marie biscuits and milk tea, but tonight I am attending a Bollywood dance class which adds some flavor to my weekend. And here are some more charcoal pieces:

1 comment: