Friday, July 5, 2013

A day in my beloved classroom

If you walk to my class; UKG, which is basically a kindergarten class. My children will rise and say "good morning sistuh". Then they would try to pay attention to their other teacher who would be giving out directions. I would patiently stand and wait for a young girl to bring me a mat and place in front of me. Once it was properly arranged I would take my sit. After morning prayers and meditation, the children like to go wild. They love to jump on me and start singing a song I taught them. Row row row your boat and Everywhere we go, people want to know are their favorites. They like to hold up one index finger and say "sistuh one time...please"! So I'll smile and say okay okay. Then I will start singing and they happily join in. After we sing each song twice, I point to body parts that they know then I teach them two new body parts. Then, together we start at our eyes then name our body parts to our toes. By the time we are done it's morning break time; the girls line up then the boys and they walk down the hall to the bathrooms and sinks outside.When they return they are all usually wet and someone is always completely drenched. The other teacher usually steps out and leaves me with the kids. For the first five minutes we sing and play. But, once they realize she's not coming back and time soon, they go wild. The first time this happened I was in disbelief. I watched little boys box, girls leap off counter tops, and others fight over toys. I was trying to do everything at once and they barely know English so we could not communicate. That was my first day in class, now when they get out of hand I say Ellaih which means stop. Most of the kids still carry on but, I get some of their attention and I speak very slowly to them. Once I get them settled down and seated, we start singing and making music. Everyday, I wake up excited for the adventures I will have in class. I truly adore the children and they love my company. If they see me outside the classroom, no matter where they just drop everything and run into my open arms. It's so cute. I could never have dreamed of this and in less than four weeks I will be leaving these wonderful children. It's so bittersweet!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, so cool they start the day with meditation (though, considering how wild they can be even with meditation, it is hard to imagine them otherwise). I cannot remember what you thought about doing career-wise, but it sounds like you really enjoy working with children. Any idea if working with them more might be in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love children and I am majoring in Social Work and Psychology. I plan on working a lot with under privileged children and children with disabilities.

    ReplyDelete