Tuesday, May 7, 2013

And so it begins.

As I sit in OIA, a part of me feels like I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. There are still a ton of unknowns, what ifs, I guess we'll see's, and we'll figure it out when we get there. And surprisingly, I'm okay with it.

Ultimately, whatever this experience brings, I hope to learn and engage fully. I just want to immerse myself in a different culture, in a different environment, and with different people. I feel like I have challenged my perspective a lot leading up to this experience, which I love. And I hope to bring that with me in all of my actions. Take that time to step back, observe, and see the impression I am leaving and living.

I also hope to engage in understanding of how the people of Uganda see themselves. The concept of identity is something I am intrigued and invested in understanding, and when going to another country to work with an organization, I think it is important to learn how this agency sees themselves, how the people they serve see them themselves, and ultimately how the people see themselves. I feel like the individual identity experience is often lost when providing aid, internationally or not, so I hope to strive and uncover this identity in order for me to be the agent I am supposed to be.

With that, I'm sure there's five million things I've forgotten, things I will loose, and memories I will find a hard time capturing. But, right now, I am thrilled for the unknown. Thrilled to find identity. And thrilled just to get there!

Best of luck to everyone else leaving soon!!

Ashley Hilmer
Children Uganda

No comments:

Post a Comment