Thursday, May 9, 2013

Taking Stock

     I don't know if it's just me or if everyone else feels this too but in those days and weeks before a big international adventure I start to take stock of all the tings I'm going to miss. Small things like movies and warm water and even washing machines. I take stock of the big things too and despite the excitement of a trip like this there is always a little bit of sadness. The big things are all the moments and people I won't be there for because I'm across the globe. August 9th for example, just a random date for most people but to me it is my three year anniversary with the woman I love, I won't be here for that. Compounding that is the fact that she is moving back home in August, after a year and a half living together she'll be leaving. 
     I once had a geography professor who explained to me how lonely a life it can be for the world traveler but he also explained how that was tempered by broadened horizons and a clearer view of reality. He went on to tell me how an international experience can give you a greater appreciation for the things in your life too. I've certainly felt that every time I've traveled. In these 18 days before I leave for Africa, while I'm slowly taking stock of everything I'll miss, I'm also enjoying everything a little more as well. I'm really savoring my moments with everyone and everything I care about. 
     I think that can be an easy thing to overlook sometimes, how important it is to enjoy all the people and things that won't really be there when you're abroad. A couple years ago when I went to Colombia for a little over a month I hadn't really thought about it, I wish I had. Going to another country and immersing yourself in that culture is tremendously fun, exciting and rewarding but it is no light task. You are completely removed from almost everything you know. The distance between you and the people you miss can then seem magnified when you're in a poorer country. The limited resources, cold showers, shoddy electricity, and the inability to easily call or text is all inherently uncomfortable and has certainly made me miss home. I know I'll feel the same this time around, I'll be a little uncomfortable, I'll miss people, but for now I'm enjoying what I can and I am definitely excited to get abroad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment