Tuesday, May 14, 2013

T minus 23 days to Thailand

With just 23 days until my departure on a twenty-six hour flight to Bangkok, things are finally starting to roll. My visa returned, culturally-accepted clothes and necessities bought, malaria pills, and typhoid fever vaccinated, I finally feel like the only thing between me and the wonderful village of Plaboo is time. The articles and world of foreign volunteering (or "voluntourism" as the newly coined word for our future adventures describes) that Omprakash and Global Scholars have introduced are kept close with decisions and ways of packing and preparing. Plans are made to meet Lam, the coordinator of the Farmer Community School, and Will, my fellow explorer, in Bangkok and spend a few days in the city; hopefully making my way to the renowned beautiful beaches that first sparked my interest in Southeast Asia, the Grand Palace, and all the other super touristy destinations I'd like to indulge in while I recover from jet lag. Plaboo is a rural rice farming community about seven hours north-east from Bangkok in the province of Isaan.
The next two weeks before I'm jet set will be spent exploring the east coast of my own country – a road trip up to the Capitol, the city that never sleeps, and stop to get a famous cheese steak before we hop over the Canadian border for a night. Two months across the world, this exploration of America will implement the importance of culture that I hope to emphasize in the village of Plaboo – a value that FCS strives to stretch to their community and children.

No comments:

Post a Comment