Thursday, May 23, 2013

This is it!

Tomorrow is the day I will finally leave to begin my internship in Kampala, Uganda!  Physically, I feel very prepared. My bags are packed full of everything I will need for the summer times 2. My camera is charged, I have all of my prescriptions, and I have plenty of pens to take notes. Mentally, though, I feel a little uneasy. I have been lucky enough to have been in constant contact with the program coordinator who seems to be very kind, intelligent, and organized, which makes me feel more comfortable. I am most concerned by the fact that I know very little about the culture in Kampala. Do I shake hands, kiss on the cheek, hug, or bow someone I'm meeting for the first time? Although the national language of Uganda is English, most people speak Swahili or Luganda; how will I communicate with people if they do not speak English? Furthermore, I'm not exactly sure what my position will be!

This summer, I will be working with SOVHEN, Supporting Orphans, vulnerable for better Health, Education, and Nutrition as either a program development associate or a research/ funding fellow. As a program development associate, I would be working with various community partners and international organizations as a liaison to further develop SOVHEN. As a research/funding fellow, I would be targeting investors, create potential partnerships, and network for the organization. Both of these positions seem very intense, and to be honest, over my head. I hope that I will be able to adapt and make a contribution to SOVHEN like they believe I can.

1 comment:

  1. You must be in a plane right now! We're so interested to read how your research/funding and/or development associate work transpires! Either way, it should be very valuable. Just be clear about what you can offer and what skills you can share--I know you will do a great job!

    ReplyDelete