Monday, May 6, 2013

Can I just go already?

Now that school is over with, I'm forced to confront the reality of where I will be in three weeks' time: in Kolkata, India, i.e. six exits outside any comfort zone I've ever thought about having. And that reality is looking better every day. I cannot wait to begin my process documenting internship with Prayasam; I expect to learn volumes, not only about writing and editing, but about the incredible work they do towards social justice and equality. I've read so much about them, and it is amazing to me what they have been able to accomplish in the last few years--I have never been so honored to be a part of something.

Preparation for this trip has been stressful and seemingly never-ending, but that has given me plenty of time for self-reflection--and especially sifting through any doubts that have formed. Over the course of many due dates, documents, and teeth-scraping to come up with fees, I've had plenty of chances to find some excuse for not going. Fortunately, even through all of my doubts, the excitement and eagerness hasn't faded a bit! I've felt it ever since I first sent in my application and sat up at night wondering where (or even if) I'd be invited, and it has continued throughout the entire process. I'm not afraid of discomfort, illness, or uncertainty. The only thing I'm worried about now is how to keep my mind and heart as open as possible, because my biggest fear is not making the most out of my experience.

All of the paperwork is essentially settled (thank goodness), which gives me three weeks to focus on my health and mentally prepare for everything I will be doing for the next three months. I want to be firing on all cylinders for this trip--that means eating cleanly, meditating, and reading everything I can that has anything remotely to do with my placement. It also means saying goodbye to friends and family and leaving with a light heart, something that has been hard for me to do. I don't feel alone, though: I'm so glad to be part of the Global Scholars, this network of people who are experiencing the same excitement and uncertainty that I am. It's going to be a wonderful summer!

1 comment:

  1. I love your spirit, Cayle! I hope that you have a wonderful experience and I know that you will have an amazing time! :)

    ReplyDelete