Monday, May 20, 2013

The Preparation


            I still remember during my freshman orientation at FSU that I heard about study abroad programs and internships in other countries and I was amazed by how great it sounded. I thought that it would be impossible for me to do because of the expense. When I went to the Omprakash informational meeting I saw it as an opportunity to go somewhere and learn something new; something that I could not learn here. It started to become a reality when I found a partner that was a great match to what I wanted to do.  In Hospital Escuela in Leon, Nicaragua I was offered an opportunity to help out with patients. Speaking Spanish was a great advantage because I spoke to them on the phone to finalize the dates and duties I was going to have. At my job I have gotten a glimpse into some Spanish medical terminology, by helping the FSU COM professor of Medical Spanish with tasks for the class.  
            I knew that it was going to be an economic constraint on my mother to go and not be working during the months that I was going to be interning in Nicaragua. Luckily, I received the Omprakash Volunteer Grant and I had some requirements I had to fulfill and keep up to date with. The semester was very busy and finally after finals week I continued to apply for scholarships and grants. I received the Jessica Jennifer Cohen Foundation Grant about five days before my departure date.  I am so grateful that they were so quick with their response and willing to help. Everything seemed to be falling into place.
            I was home for a week before my departure and it was just enough time for me to get my immunizations and medications that I needed for Nicaragua. My doctor, the pharmacists and other community members were very supportive and helpful. My contacts for Hospital Escuela have helped me so much with the preparations. I am excited and curious to see how things will turn out tomorrow. I guess all I can do now is hope for the best. 

1 comment:

  1. Yesenia, major congratulations on both of these awards--so exciting! That's also great that you got to help out with the Medical Spanish class--what fantastic preparation (and this blog is great because it allows me to learn about cool things like this that I did not know about you guys before!) That is certainly something to recommend to future Global Scholars who might be interning with health organizations in Spanish-speaking countries--great tips. We're excited to hear how things are going after your arrival!

    ReplyDelete