Sunday, May 19, 2013

counting down

I don't leave for Rabat for another sixteen days, so I'm counting down the days on the Delta airlines calendar! Reading all of these exciting posts makes me want to be in Morocco even more. So far I've been reading up as much as I can on Moroccan news, intently brushing up on my Arabic, and watching youtube videos of popular music and videos that portray daily life in Morocco. I'm going to do mostly an ethnographic project while in Morocco, meeting people and getting to know their lifestyle, and also working at an orphanage. I'm looking forward to making new friends and playing with the kids, and helping wherever I'm needed.

During the last weeks of school I started to get kind of nervous about this trip, and even more nervous at the thought that I was the only person freaking out; however after reading the other posts I felt a lot more relieved by the fact that most people also seemed nervous when leaving. I can't wait to get there, but I'm trying to use this pre-departure time wisely in order to be adequately mentally prepared and assuage any doubts about language. I can't wait to start my placement and make the most of this exciting experience! I've learned so much through the edge program and I really hope that I keep all of this information fresh and in the front of my mind. I'm a little worried that the initial excitement of being there will temporarily cloud everything I've learned, but I'm using this down time now to keep reviewing and ingraining this info, about incentives and good intentions and different mental approaches and definitely keeping an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment