Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Airport Life

I am in the process of departing to Cusco, Peru at the moment; as I sit at gate J15 of Miami International Airport I realize I have been doing this since 6 weeks old. With plenty of frequent flier miles I can attest to the not-so-glamorous airport life, but tonight is the first time I am flying overseas by myself, no friends or family to tag along.

I started to pack yesterday for this three month journey and came to the conclusion that I could never backpack through Europe because I pack undoubtedly much more than I need. I have my basics for the cooler climate and more conservative culture: jeans, heavier jackets, flannel pajama pants, converters, too many different colored v-neck polos, and of course my collection of Pi Phi gear and my Global Scholars t-shirt! I can't forget the 30 disposable cameras I'm bringing as part of my lesson plan for my photography class I'm teaching at the Healing House. Two 50 pound suitcases later I am a definite female that still admits to being over prepared rather than a terrible traveler.

In the days leading to my departure I wanted to focus on my family, friends, and soaking up the sun on the water of St. Pete Beach. I also realized I had to see Ironman 3 and Gatsby before I left, not sure if I could see them in English or at all while In Cusco or Lima. I tend to ignore the fact that I actually have to prepare in order to go on these international adventures in the days before I leave, so true to my instincts I only began to pack last night (a big step up from last summer's trip to Germany where I packed two hours before I left for the airport...). At around 2 am the anxiety set in as I figured my carry on would explode if I tried to fit the rest of my shoes and jackets in it, resulting in the adoption of a second suitcase and the fees that come along with it. Waking up this morning after packing a majority of my clothes I was still anxious because of all of the little things like my computer, gifts for my hosts, and the all too looming thought of forgetting something. The worst of it came after laying out in the sun for hours as I had to get ready to leave for the airport, I absolutely hate leaving my family even to go to school and I was even more fearful of missing my flight.

Pulling up to the American Airlines curbside checking at Tampa International Airport I felt the tears coming on as I said my goodbyes, dropped of my luggage, and turned to walk inside. I took some pictures with the family, hugged my dog, and later Instagrammed those moments of course after I went through security and made it to my gate in under 7 minutes. One thing I am always disappointed by is having to throw away my mostly unfinished drinks before security, this time it was a fresh strawberry kiwi Snapple that I didn't even get to read the fact on the cap.

I digress... Anyways I'm sitting by my gate because the Admiral Club is on the opposite side of the airport further denoting my American-ness. I was quite excited though to have remembered a Starbucks gift card I had to use at the airport for giant bottles of Fiji water to last me through the plane rides and a special treat of Izze sparkling blackberry juice, my last hoorah until I'm back in the US. I'm taking this time to blog because as much as I love paying $7.95 for wifi, I am definitely ready to experience the different culture and customs of Cusco. I may be anxious but I am also very confident that I was called to do this for a greater purpose. I am prepared through my Omprakash training, language training (still studying those old high school Spanish binders I knew would come in handy), and the support of my family, sisterhood of Pi Beta Phi, and the international scholars I am linked to.

Here is to the next three months of change, personal growth, and community growth! I am ready for the challenges as well as this long night ahead of me! See you all abroad...

No comments:

Post a Comment