Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm ready!

      Are you excited? Are you excited? Are you excited? I would hear this question over and over again as soon as I told someone I was going to India. I didnt know how to answer that, it was a more difficult question than it seemed.  It did not honestly occur to me what I was feeling until  a week ago. I didnt know if I was more excited or nervous or maybe a mix of both so most of the time that is how I answered; I was excited and nervous. I was flying out tomorrow and stressing about what could possibly happen ( good and bad). I do not know what to expect. I thought to myself, what if they do not like me? What if I dont understand certain things? What if it is completely different from what I thought it would be? I was going to be teaching English to young children, do I know even how to teach?Am I going to like what I see or am I going to love it? So many unanswered questions running through my head nd yes that was the nervous side of me. However, I could not help but be excited at the same time. I was going on a journey. I was going to a country that I had never been before. I was going to experience things that many in their lifetime cannot say they have experienced. I was going to meet wonderful people who make a difference in their community. And my favorite part, I was going to work with children.

  After so many thoughts going through my head I decided to take a breath and tell  myself that I was prepared and had nothing to worry about. Those pre-drepature courses had prepared me :-) I was also not alone in my nervousness. I know more than anything, whether I was nervous or not, I wanted to go with a clean blank slate. I wanted to embrace the difference, take in the similarities, and leave the assumptions behind. I want this to be a learning experience more than anything (for both me and my organization- Project WHY). Whatever would come my way would a journey or learning experience. And now Im think to myself, Im ready!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you and Francesca made it safely and uneventfully and are getting settled in! I am excited to read about both of your progress with teaching the kids--do you know what age group you will be working with yet?

    ReplyDelete