Monday, May 27, 2013

Day One

It had no really occurred to me that I was going to me that I was going to have to go on an airplane by myself. Every time I flew on an airplane it was with family. I was a little nervous but the flight was smooth. I knew it was going to be a good day when we arrived to Managua, Nicaragua, and one of the flight attendants recognized my shirt and said “Go Noles.” I was picked up by one of the members of the Club Rotaract Metropolitano de Leon, and a member of the Rotary Club of Leon. They were very welcoming and there was never awkward silence. After the airport we picked up another member of the Rotary Club. They asked me if I wanted to go back to Leon or to go to the market and get supplies for the Pediatrics playroom. I told them we should go get supplies! So we went to the market and we found good prices. I got 30 chairs and four fans for the Pediatrics department in Hospital Escuela. I am very happy to have funding from the JJCF grant to help with the costs.
            I had a delicious lunch at a buffet style place in Managua. Nicaraguan cuisine is amazing.  On the way to Leon we stopped to see el Volcรกn de Momotombo by the lake of Managua. It was a beautiful view.





I noticed that there were a lot of people living in poverty. As the road continued I noticed that there were a lot of people living in poverty. The weather is in the upper 90’s and there are people that cannot afford fans. As we arrived to Leon I saw one of the universities, and there are many in Leon.  The place that I will be staying at is called Hostal D’Oviedo, which is a place that rents out rooms for short or extended stay. My room is small but it is cozy and the owner is a very sweet lady.  The center has a patio and an outdoor dining area in the center, which cools off the area. I do not have air conditioning, but I have a fan.

            I unpacked and then after that I went to a get together with the Club Rotaract Metropolitano de Leon and they welcomed me to Leon. I walked with one of the members to the house where the meeting was going to be held. The Rotoract group members are university students that are in Medicine, pharmacy and other disciplines.  We ate home made Nicaraguan food. Two of the medical residents told me what I could expect to see at the hospital, and it was very helpful. I was tired by 9pm, which is 11pm Florida time.  I slept like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment